5 min read
Struggling to find the right belt size? This comprehensive guide helps you measure your belt and choose the perfect fit for men, women, and children. With instructions for adding 2 inches to your pant size for a casual fit, to specialized guidelines for gunbelts requiring up to 5-7 inches extra, you’ll have all the tools you need. From size 26” to 70”, follow these tailored steps for a comfortable and stylish addition to your attire
Are you constantly asking yourself, “What size belt do I need?” You’re not alone. Finding the ideal belt size—one that combines comfort and style—can often feel like a common challenge. Whether shopping online or in a brick-and-mortar store, using your waist measurement and understanding the size belt you need is essential for achieving a sleek and refined appearance.
Finding the right belt size is no riddle. With a size chart and a tape measure, your perfect fit’s in the bag. Measure your waist size or check your pant size, and you’re golden. A new leather belt snug at first? No sweat! It’ll loosen up, just like breaking in a trusty pair of shoes. Like a friendship, it only gets better with time.
Belt size is chiefly determined by length and occasionally width. The general rule is to select a belt two inches larger than your pant size. For example, if you wear size 36 pants, a size 38 belt would be the suitable fit. This guideline simplifies the process, ensuring a comfortable and appropriate addition to your attire.
Custom Leather Belt Sizing Guide
Our custom Leather Belts are available in various widths, colors, and styles, all sized according to the specifications you provide. It is crucial that you measure correctly to ensure the proper fit for your new belt.
How to Measure a Current Belt?
Measuring a current belt is a simple way to ensure you select the right size. Follow these steps:
- Lay the belt on a clean, flat surface.
- Start the tape measure at the hole you currently use and measure to the end of the belt, where it meets the buckle.
- Belts are measured in inches; round up to the nearest inch.
- If you measure 36 inches, you’ll want to purchase a size 36 belt.
How to Measure Your Body for Belt Size?
- Thread a cloth tape measure through the belt loops of your trousers/jeans/slacks.
- Stand in a relaxed, natural position.
- Measure in inches and round to the nearest inch; this will be your waist measurement and belt size.
How to Choose a Belt Size Based on Pant Size?
Add 2 inches to your off-the-rack trouser size. For pants worn at a traditional height, this formula works best.
Pant Size to Belt Size
- If your pants size = 32, choose belt size = 34.
- If your pants size = 34, choose belt size = 36.
- If your pants size = 36, choose belt size = 38.
- If your pants size = 38, choose belt size = 40.
Note: Over time, leather belts tend to stretch, especially braided ones. A belt that fits snug initially will likely wear more comfortably down the road.
For belt orders between 26”-33”, we will be calling you to confirm your measurements. Minimum size belt order is 26”, and maximum size is 70”.
Determining the Belt Size Needed
Sizing for Men’s Belt
As we’ve already outlined, the general rule for men’s belts is to select a belt that’s two inches larger than your waist or pant size. Here’s a more detailed overview:
- Measuring with a Tape (Most Accurate): Using a soft tape measure threaded through your belt loops ensures the most accurate length. Adding 2 inches to this length provides a snug fit with room for adjustment.
- Using Your Own Belt: Measuring your current belt from the fold to the hole you normally use offers an immediate insight into your size, and it is usually accurate.
- Using Your Pants Size: Providing your pant size, such as W38xL40 (38″ being the width), is a practical way to determine your belt size, although an extra charge may be applied for belts longer than 42″.
Sizing for Women’s Belts
Women’s belts are a bit more complex when it comes to sizing, mainly due to different labeling methods. You may find them marked with letters like XS, S, M, L, or XL, or numerical sizes equivalent to dress sizes. Here’s a general scale for women’s sizes:
- XS: 24″ – 26″
- S: 28″ – 30″
- M: 32″ – 34″
- L: 36″ – 38″
- XL: 38″ – 40″
Remember, similar to men’s belts, you would usually choose a belt approximately 2″ larger than your waist measurement.
Boys’ & Girls’ Belt Size
Finding the right belt size for boys and girls is just as important as for adults. Sizes are often linked to age or clothing size, making it more intuitive. For example, a regular size for a 7-year-old boy might be 26 inches. The variations can be slim, regular, and husky, which allows for a more personalized fit. Always refer to a specific brand’s size chart for the most accurate measurements.
How to Measure a Gunbelt?
- Put the belt on WITH your gear (holster, extra mags, flashlight, etc.).
- Adjust the belt to the proper snugness, then take it off and measure from the FAR END of its buckle to the hole you used during your fit-test.
- Round to the nearest inch; this measurement represents the actual circumference of your waist (with pants on).
Belts are made from various types of leather and are designed to be stiff and firm to support your sidearms and other gear.
The best method of determining your belt size is to measure a belt that you currently wear.
Quick Reference for Sizing
If you plan to use the belt casually or with an Outside Waistband Holster, add 4 inches to your pants size. If you use an Inside Waistband Holster (IWB), adding 5-7 inches to your pants size might be appropriate, depending on the bulk of the holster and gun.
Belt sizing may differ greatly depending on factors such as style, brand, and the particular type of belt. Check the manufacturer’s sizing guidelines for the most accurate fit. If you’re unsure, contact the retailer or manufacturer directly.
Finding the right belt size may appear challenging, but it’s simpler than it seems. Focus on your waist measurement, pant size, and the features of leather belts, and you’ll soon find the size belt you need for a stylish and comfortable fit. Just adhere to the previously outlined tips, and you’ll quickly have a well-fitted enhancement to your wardrobe.